- An off-road capable R/C chassis in 1/10 scale (good brand names I know: Tamiya and Traxxas)
- A microcontroller to interface with the chassis electronics and perhaps some of the simpler onboard sensors. (I have a small amount of experience with the Arduino board which makes it my first choice.)
- An onboard computer for the AI and Vision processing. Right now the leading candidate is the Asus eee PC, but the HP 2133 Mini-Note and various Mini-ITX computers are all in the running. More on this debate later.
- Camera(s) for vision. Stereo would be great, but that requires two cameras rigidly fixed to one another. I also have to consider the limitations of the computer's USB or Firewire Bus and processor to handle that much incoming camera data at once.
- Other sensors. Candidates are Ultrasonic Rangefinders, Bump sensors, and Infrared Rangefinders.
- Power will be supplied by the chassis battery and a additional battery for the computer. Laptops are the most convenient in that regard.
For a software structure the plan is to use Player/Stage with Gazebo, which is an open-source framework for developing robots.
Big plans. We'll see where they go.