Friday, July 11, 2008

Ordered a computer


I just put in a preorder for an ASUS eee PC 901 at NCIX. They had the Windows-equipped versions sitting right there on the counter, but I decided to wait for the Linux version. Why? Two reasons. The first is that for the same price, the Linux version come with a 20Gb Solid-State hard disk, as compared the 12Gb SSD in the Windows version. This offsets the cost of the Windows license. The second reason is that if I did get the Windows version, I'm stuck with an OEM copy of Windows XP Home on the computer, with no install disks. So that means that putting Xubuntu or some other flavour of Linux on the machine means wiping out that windows install and possibly never getting it back. I'll wait a week or two for the better machine with the free OS, thanks. I don't know if the stock Xandros-based Linux flavour will be okay or whether I should wipe it and install another distro. Time will tell.

The specs look like this:
  • ASUS Eee PC 901.
  • Intel Atom 1.6 GHz Diamondville Processor.
  • 1 Gb of DDR2-533/667 RAM (planning an upgrade to 2Gb).
  • 20 Gb Solid-State Hard Disk (4Gb on motherboard plus 16Gb in removable SSD).
  • 8.9in 1024x600 LCD Display.
  • 802.11n (draft) wireless.
  • 1.3 Megapixel webcam.
  • Bluetooth onboard.
  • Xandros Linux preinstalled (Replace with Xubuntu?).
  • 6 Cell battery - they claim 4-8 hours of life. I'm skeptical, but hopeful.
  • 3 USB ports, an SD card reader, VGA-out and ethernet.
  • Final price: $617.59 CAN.
The only thing missing is firewire, and I'm sure I can find a decent USB camera, so I'm not worried.

No comments: